Valley View Ferry
Beginning Saturday, June 29, the Valley View Ferry will no longer operate on weekends and will cut weekday operations by two hours, operating from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m. Mon. - Fri. beginning July 1.
The ferry shuttles vehicles, under 24 feet long and under 24 tons of total weight, across the Kentucky River at Tates Creek Road at the Fayette, Jessamine and Madison County lines. The ferry is a free service and operates with funding from the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, the fiscal courts of Madison and Jessamine counties, and the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government.
Citing a shortage of qualified operators, the Valley View Ferry Authority, which manages the ferry, said the reduction in hours was the result of one of the vessel’s two full-time captains resigning.
Once the organization is back to full staff, the regular hours could resume.
The Valley View Ferry is the oldest year-round (save for Christmas Day) ferry service in the country and the last remaining ferry on the Kentucky River. The ferry was founded seven years before Kentucky became a state, and its charter was signed by Virginia Governor Patrick Henry in 1785. The current boat’s name, the “John Craig,” was the name of the franchise’s original owner, and dates to 1996.
When the ferry is not operating, the suggested alternate route between Nicholasville and Richmond is US 27 to Lancaster in Garrard County, then KY 52 to Richmond. The suggested alternate route between Lexington and Richmond is Interstate 75.
The ferry may be closed in the event of high water or for inspections or repairs. The ferry’s current operating status can be found by clicking here or by calling (859) 258-3611.